Andrew Haberman joined Edell, Shapiro & Finnan in 2012, has been a Member of the firm since 2019, and has been practicing intellectual property law since 2011. With a degree in mechanical engineering, Andrew focuses his practice on patent portfolio development, portfolio management, counseling, freedom-to-operate, invalidity, and infringement analysis and opinions, and related matters. Andrew’s counseling has assisted with multiple high-stakes M&A deals and Andrew’s advocacy has resulted in successful outcomes before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Andrew helps lead the firm’s recruiting department.
Andrew specializes in a wide variety of technologies, including:
- handheld and automated manufacturing equipment
- large scale resource extraction equipment
- consumer products, including toys and household goods
- apparel and sports equipment
- vehicle and vehicle accessories
- medical devices
- mobile communications systems
- computer software
- semiconductor fabrication
- e-commerce and financial services
Prior to joining Edell, Shapiro & Finnan, Andrew prosecuted patents at an intellectual property law firm in Alexandria, Virginia. Additionally, while in law school, Andrew worked at the U.S. District Court of Maryland, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Office of Intellectual Property in various capacities.
Outside of work, Andrew enjoys spending time with his family, which often involves playing sports or cars with his three young sons. In his (very limited) free time, Andrew enjoys playing hockey, golf, and basketball and rooting for the Ravens and Caps.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association